Steven Brownlee - Resumé
- Jewelry Creations Workshop, North Miami, FL - 2008 to Present
Owner, Operator and Head Instructor! Teaching and running operations, specializing in fabrication, beading and wire working, stone setting, chasing and repousse, wax carving, business and marketing, fold forming, forging, chain making and much more.
- Alix & Company, Mill Valley, Ca. - Oct. 2005-March 2007
Goldsmith- Fabrication (gold, silver, platinum and palladium soldering), stone setting, casting cleanup, polishing/finishing, repairs, sizing, chain repair, organization of studio and tools, keeping track of inventory, receiving and sales.
- Steven Lewis Brownlee, JT, Miami, FL. - June 2001-present
Owner/Artist - Responsible for daily operations of retail business including sales (retail and wholesale), design, manufacture, jewelry repair, customer service, display, bookkeeping, and inventory control.
- Revere Academy of Jewelry Arts, San Francisco, CA - Oct.-Dec. 2004, April 2005
Studio Monitor – issued keys to the school and was responsible for supervision of students and equipment after hours and on weekends, opening the studio as well as organization and shutting down the equipment, and locking up before leaving. ARTCENTER/SOUTH FLORIDA, Miami Beach, FL - 1998-2000
Studio Monitor - supervised and assisted students during studio hours, responsible for closing studio, organizing and turning off all equipment.
TECHNICAL EDUCATION & CERTIFICATION
- Arrowmont, Gatlinburg, TN - July 2016
Fearless Soldering for Pillboxes and Small Containers with Christopher Hentz
- Wildacres Retreat, Widacres, NC - Oct 2015
Animated Adornment: Kinetic Jewelry Design with Kirk Lang
- The Armory Art Center, West Palm Beach, FL - Early 2014
Torch Fire Enameling with Anne Havel
- Wildacres Retreat, Wildacres, NC - Oct 2013
Small scale steel forging with Natasha Seedorf
Creative Stone setting - Jan 2009
- Florida Society of Goldsmiths New Smyrna, FL - Jan 2012
Imaginative Captures (Zengineering) with Andy Cooperman
- Jewelry Creations Workshop, Miami, FL - 2009
Chasing and Repoussé with Fabrizio Aqcuafresca
- Florida Society of Goldsmiths Ft Lauderdale, FL
Catches and Clasps with John Cogswell
Chasing and Repoussé with Fabrizio Aqcuafresca - 2006
- Wildacers Retreat with the Revere Academy, Wildacers, Nc. - Oct.-Nov. 2005
Silver Granulation with Ronda Coryell - silver granulation on a small kiln and charcoal block, basic repousse and forging.
Threaded Mechanisms with Douglas Zaruba - theory and practice of threaded mechanisms including setting a stone with threaded parts. Ultimately finishing a piece completely assembled with screws.
- The Antoinette Matlins Practical Gem and Jewelry Course, Woodstock, VT- May 2005
n intensive course on how to identify imitations and synthetic in Diamonds, Colored Gemstones, and Pearls, as well as treatments, quality and how these affect value.
- The Revere Academy of Jewelry Arts Masters Symposiums, San Francisco, CA - April 2005
Bench Tricks with Charles Lewton-Brain -
Connections with Douglas Zaruba - hinges, clasps, and other moving parts.
Fold Forming with Charles Lewton-Brain -
Surface Treatments with Douglas Zaruba -
- Jewelers of America, Bench Jewelry Technician Certificate - 2004
Skills Tested include soldering (gold and silver), ring sizing, retipping, chain repair, prong and bezel setting, safety and clasp repair, polishing and buffing, piercing and riveting.
- The Revere Academy of Jewelry Arts, San Francisco, CA. - Oct.-Dec. 2004
Jewelry Technician Diploma
- The Antique & Period Jewelry and Gemstone Conference, Long Island, NY - May 2004
Lectures, seminars & Demonstrations including Colored Gemstones in Period Jewelry, the Evolution of Jewelry Repair, and overviews of many jewelry periods.
- ARTCENTER/SOUTH FLORIDA, Miami, FL - 1998 - 2000
Advanced Jewelry making skills in stone setting( bezel and prong), forging, design, surface treatments and the use of more advanced tools used by professional jewelers.
Beginning Jewelry, basic techniques, piercing, soldering, forming and chains.
- Technical Excellence, Revere Academy of Jewelry Arts, San Francisco, CA. - Dec. 2004
- Awarded best jewelry maker in Miami by the Miami New Times - 2013
- 4.5+ Star rating in Google, Yelp and Facebook
- Award of Merit - Art show, don't remember where or which one, but I did- 2003
Arts and Culture day at North Beach Elementary School - Feb. 2017
Art teacher volunteer
We were invited to North Beach Elementary School to be a part of their arts and culture day where many artists and performers shared there talents with the children there. We saw 3 classes of 20-25 students from 9-11 years old. We had them working with wire to create a free form pendent with a hammer texture (optional), and attached a couple beads to give the piece some color (optional). They were introduced to some basic jewelry making tools such as pliers, cutters, hammers and jewelers saw. It was very rewarding to see the children pick up the skills quickly and leave with a finished piece they created on their own.
Lotus House Womens Shelter - 2015-2016
Steven Brownlee of Jewelry Creations Workshop and Lia Terni visited the Lotus House providing the activity of jewelry making for the women at the shelter every few months. The class is designed to give the women there and an opportunity to express themselves creatively and to make something with their hands. We hope this class will open up new doors for the participants to see new possibilities for their life and to show them what they are capable of doing. The classes have been a great success and the women that participate always leave with something they made with their own hands.